Early afternoon no-gi class. It was a good class.
After a typical BJJ warm-up (running, shrimping up and down the mat, etc), we paired off and went straight to drills. Everything was focused on the armdrag to take the back. We did variations from standing and from half-guard.
Half-guard rolling followed next. My half-guard still sucks but it does feel like it’s improving a bit. I think it sucks because I don’t really have a game plan. I should find some time, sit down, and write-up a half-guard game plan.
From top half-guard, I feel like I’m at a loss of how to pass and will sometimes just keep fighting for the underhook. From the top, I’m rather helpless if the one knee of my opponent is held high against my chest. No one used to do half-guard like that before and it seems like everyone is doing it now. I call it “new half guard”. I have difficulty doing much with that knee blocking. When I try doing it, I get passed like crazy or quickly revert to old halfguard.
After two rounds of that was “king of the guard”. Three people are set as base and everyone else rotates as they try to pass. If they pass, they replace the base. If not, the base stays. I’m not sure how many times I went to try to pass the guard, but I was able to pass a blue belt’s guard, and I defended my guard just once.
What I did right:
- I did pass a blue belt’s guard
- I did a takedown on a purple belt. While trying to pass his guard, he stood up and I took him down
- My halfguard feels like it improved. Just a little notch. But at the same time, I was paired with a skilled white belt, as opposed to paring with a blue belt when my half-guard felt useless
- I showed up! I did miss wednesday class though
What I did wrong:
- When trying to pass guard with a stacking pass, I didn’t stack as much as I should have / I didn’t put as much weight into it as I should’ve, so I ended up getting triangled. Or armbarred. One of those. It would’ve worked on a gi when I have grips, but it wasn’t enough nogi
- Generally everything with the half-guard
Ok, now time to concentrate on wedding stuff…